Motor Club of America Enterprises, Inc’s
Was founded in 1926 when three brothers established the motor club. William, David and Samuel Green, born in Atlantic City, New jersey, the children of Russian immigrants. William, the second eldest, was the one who took the lead in the motor club business, after having worked a brief time as an accountant. He would service as chairman of the motor club and its businesses for more than 50 years. As automobiles became more common in the 1920’s, drivers looked to pool their resources to provide mutual assistance, leading to the rise of motor clubs that could provide maps and help with emergency repairs and towing.
Initially, the Greens conducted business in a one-room office in Newark, New Jersey. In 1933, the company became known as the Automobile Association of New Jersey, and the company moved to a storefront location. The motor club began attracting members beyond New Jersey as it created operations in 13 other states, as far north as Maine, as far south as Florida, and as far west as Ohio, Michigan, and Kentucky.
The company changed its name to Motor Club of America in 1958. The office headquarters was located in Paramus, New Jersey, to house the motor club operations.
In the early 1980’s MCA had enjoyed steady growth, with operations now spreading to include 29 states. Much of the out-of-state growth was fueled by a program with AVCO Financial Services, Inc.
In December 1986, the Green brothers sold their entire holdings to Trac., Inc., an Oklahoma company that also owned Thrifty-Rent-A Car System, Inc. While the Green brothers remained directors and officers of the company, the management effectively changed hands.
In 1992, Motor Club of America Enterprises, Inc., MCA, had become one of but a few licensed and qualified motor clubs to do business in all fifty (50) States, and Canada.
In 1996, Trac, Inc., sold MCA, Motor Club of America Enterprises, Inc., to JVL Holding Properties, wholly owned by Virgil W. Coffee, a long term veteran in the motor club industry and co-founder of National Association of Travel Organizations (NATO). In the early 80’s, Mr. Coffee was also a marketing associate for Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc (Now known as LegalShield). He and John W, Hail founded the original incarnation of TVC Marketing in 1982 as an independent network marketing arm for Pre-Paid Legal. Though Mr. Hail was responsible for Introducing the company to direct sales, it was Mr. Coffee designed the marketing plan that help Pre-Paid Legal from $1.2 million in 1982 to $48 million in 1986. Coffee and Hail sold the original TVC to Pre-Paid Legal that year, but Coffee left the company the next year to formed the second incarnation of TVC,
JVL Holding Properties, at the time of the MCA acquisition, owned two entities, TVC Marketing Associates, Inc., and TVC Pro-Driver, Inc., plus founded or acquired, Auto Help Line of America, Inc., Auto Club of America, Corp., and Small Business Club of America, Inc. In 2010 JVL Holding, Inc., was renamed TVC Holding, Inc.